Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Just Dance.

Well, it's Tuesday night, I've done all the homework for this week except Friday's art stuff, and that's good.  Still a lot to do, have to magically appear at a museum in LA Thursday...ya.  And then Friday's hw of course.

Today was a music day.  I had a lot of work to do so I just plugged into Pandora and I must say, not only does it read my music, it reads my moods...mostly.  Although I'm sort of notorious for letting my music be my mood, and when you can't help but move, that's a good mood to be in.  Big favourite recently, well two actually, The Rejection by Dangerous Muse, and Lie to Me by Depeche Mode.  They're both sort of mellow, as you can tell by the titles, not necessarily the things dreams are made of but that's the thing about my music, it doesn't have to be happy if it connects, if it means something.  Today though my focus was with Dangerous Muse, specifically the bridge of the song, 
Arms up.
Just dance.
Arms out.
Just dance.
Arms up, just dance.
Arms out, just dance.
Arms up, just dance.
Arms out, just dance.
Just dance.

I mean really, just hearing that kind of attitude makes me happy.  What part of just give in to the music isn't understood?  I know that it isn't always about giving in, and that music isn't every one's answer, but imagine how this works for someone like me, say you're having a bad day, you find a song that reflects the day but still gets you to move, and as you're listening..."just dance".  Makes my day.  And then to just add to the awesomeness that is me on music, Pandora decided to play me Moby's "Lift Me Up".  OMG!!! First "just dance" then "lift me up! lift me up! oh la la la la!!!"  I encourage you to act foolish and act out the bridge above while listening to 'Lift Me Up'.  And if anyone ever tells you music can't be spiritual, send them to this post, and if that doesn't do it for them...well, at least you get it.  One can hope.  Actually, now that I'm listening to "Lift Me Up" in the background on youtube while I write this - this may be anthem for the week.  With the tips from Dangerous Muse of course.

Ahhh, this is what makes my day in life.  Music is something that you can control and something that can fix just about anything.  Sometimes it's the songs you wouldn't expect either.  Those pesky songs you hear on the radio that otherwise bug you because they're not your preferred genre, you never know.  And when my hair is finally long enough that I can donate it, I'm going to completely shave my head - start from the ground up.  I plan on looking like both Joe Kucan (C&C's Kane) and Moby.  And then go back to normal. It's been a plan of mine for several years.

Also, you know what goes great with music?  Tea.  Sipping hot tea or any kind and just sitting in a cool room letting sound wash over you, not moving much, but enough to be part of the music.  Iced tea in a tall glass sitting next to you while you dance to the music never stopping, just slowing down long enough to take a cool drink.  Drinking the moderately good Lipton green tea w/citrus out of a sake glass.  That's what I've been doing.  Got the little shot glass for two bucks from a Japanese store, and so far I've used it to do shots of Monster Energy (not a great idea for caffeine sensitive people) and now shots of green tea while moving to music and typing papers.

Question: (I've dropped the 'challenge' bit, they're not really challenges, more like "please comment on my thoughts" type things)  Post a song or two (no more than that) that make you move, get you going, or otherwise just do that thing that music does when it's really working.  You know ^_^
As always, here's my bit, the youtube video for Lift Me Up.  Don't forget to dance.

Alright, I'm off to bed.  Lift me up! Lift me up! OH LA LA LA LA!!!
Cheers,
-Shadow of Light

3 comments:

  1. glad to see you are putting your shot glass to good use. XD

    thats a side of moby i haven't seen before (which isn't saying much).
    that dangerous muse song is pretty cool, and the singer has a nice bod! hahah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mJLuIrMi8g


    this is my pick i think:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM5BxEXQFoI

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Tomorrow" by Thievery Corporation on the Mirror Conspiracy album has one of my favorite bass lines EVER - if you have sufficiently powerful subwoofer (mine is 100-watts) - you get to feel your music - another good one is T.C.'s remix of Sofa Surfer's "Can I Get a Witness?"

    Since you took Lift Me Up - I'll say "North South East West" by Romanowski is another fantastic down-tempo song that I love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This friend of mine suggested Pride and Fall, I like Blood and My Little the best.

    P.S. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete