Thursday, April 9, 2009

"He is war hero! He needs rest!"

So...today.  I worked a bit on my project.  Actually I worked a lot, but not much got done.  I think I underestimated the level of work that architects have to do.  It's intense.  But I'm doing more tomorrow, waking up, showering, turning on and up my music, and just WORKING.  Forever.  I bought the supplies, I want to do something with it.  Then I had lunch, sammich again, and got to spend some time online with my best friend of nearly five years - and it was EPIC.  We played Left 4 Dead for a few hours, got disconnected trying to play Tiberian Sun online (the servers don't run very well any more, it's really sad), and then played two really great matches on Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge.

Game 1: Great Britain (me) vs. Iraq (Alex) on a bunch of bridge-connected islands in the snow.  I built a big navy of about 20ish ships and spread little outposts all over kingdom come for resources and in the hopes that ungodly army he was making wouldn't find them all right away.  Well, I managed to find an island in the middle of the map with only two bridges and I destroyed them so I'd be cut off from the mainlands, aaaand he proceeded to send the previously mentioned unholy and gigantic army across the ENTIRE bloody map and wiped everything else clean in about two minutes. Two words - Apocalypse Tanks >.<  Considering game speed - two minutes is basically instantaneous. But, I got SUPER lucky and had enough aircraft carriers and warships to get his base from the sea, and the only thing he hadn't thought of was a naval attack (otherwise I would be super destroyed) so we basically watched as I destroyed everything of his over the course of five minutes.  I'm what you would call a turtle player, I play slow and defensively.  Alex is, and probably always will be better than me, because he's a heavy attacker, with amazing speed.  He builds the same size armies as I would, but three times as fast, and sends them in to wipe me off the map.  Unless we're playing TS, which is an amazing game for people like me.  Two more words - Banshee Assault ^_^ Anyways, I won the first match with a TON of luck, at one point he had two of the Apocalypse tanks on my little private island, but he was destroying other things so he didn't wipe out my at the time PUNY base while it was there, and I got rid of the tanks with my navy.

Game 2: Yuri (me) vs. Great Britain (Alex) on an all water map with three big islands, one completely barren (wth?).  Again due to the map, we both went heavy with navy, I build the epic boomers (aiming for about 25) while Alex built anti-sub ships and aircraft carriers, and then we each spent most of the game building god-knows-what just because we could.  The first twenty minutes were spent running hovercraft over the map, and chasing them with sniper teams and a Yuri prime.  End result: my hovercraft ran his sniper team over (I know, it hovers, how can it? go figure), and his sniper teams chased my floating Yuri around the shores of his island as I tried to capture it or them or whatever I could.  I built floating disks (flying saucer's if you're unfamiliar with the game) and chased his hovercraft and mobile construction vehicle around my island where he was trying to build ANOTHER base...for more income.  Demolished both.  Then I captured and sold one of his ore refineries with Yuri out of revenge.  But I got greedy and went for a rocket trooper with Yuri and go sniped.  Fail.  He made up for it by building an over sized squad of rocketeers to take out my disks, it worked, and then they got picked off in the process of taking out my machine guns...by my machine guns.  We sent taunts of British and Russian psychic laughing back and forth, news of our lack f money, threats to attack, and cries for help via the taunt menu, and then he sent in his navy to wipe out half my base including my submarine factory, while I moved my boomers to defend, wipe out his fleet, and destroy his island base.  It took forever.  And again, he really had me, actually, maybe a little less, I did have seventeen boomers, so that counts as a good defense and offense.  While we played we discussed the game over xbox live, and one of the things that came up was that Yuri's army in the right hands (mine), has AMAZING defense (true), and actually, really decent offense if you know how to use it.  Boomers are sort of cheap because they attack air, ground, and sea, and stay cloaked when using torpedoes, but their cost makes up for it.  I built maybe ten disks and only seventeen boomers by the time he wiped out every usable building in my base, (if the boomers had failed, I would have also, I didn't have anything major left), and two Yuri Primes, one to make up for the one that got sniped.

In the end, they were both good games, they didn't take forever, and there were epic casualties on both sides.  The first time, I got really lucky, the second time, luck helped, but looking back, so did a fleet of boomers.  And I also notice now that even in Tiberian Sun, I'm all about defense and air power, and have always been navy heavy in Red Alert.  Alex is killer in both those and land assault, which I'm really rather pitiful at.  When it comes to Red Alert, he is still the master, I concede that, but with TS...well, we're sort of tied with wins I think, or at least the scale of wins.  But it's the way we play - build for like an hour and do epic things and then wage war and see who wears out first.  I'm heavy on defense anyways so that helps, and a group of 40 or so banshees and a cyborg commando make for a really good attacking front.  Plus I always play as the Brotherhood of Nod, so I have God, Kane, and Tiberium on my side.  How there not be a win?  Oh, that's the other thing we do when we play TS, we each give the other our own technology so that we have the best of both worlds.  It's epic.  Two Mammoth Mk. 2's alongside a cyborg commando and a mutant hijacker with a horde of banshees overhead raining down Tiberium plasma on each other...ahhh, ^_^

So ya, tomorrow I'm going to do more work.

Question: Best drink?

Me?  I'll tell you when telling you is legal.

Cheers,
-Shadow of Light

No comments:

Post a Comment