Sunday, April 19, 2009

Your Eyes Got Me Thinking

Ok, well I picked tonight's title from the chorus of 4 Strings' 'Colorblind'.  Good song.  Good music.  If you haven't heard 4 Strings, it's nice dance/trance music, easy to move to, reminiscent of bands like iiO or Cascada.  Ahh, classics.  I've found that it's really difficult to find people on this campus who are into the same music as I am.  Even in high school it was difficult, but there were people who were into it, and therefore I had people to talk to.  Here: no one!  When I tell people that the usual answer is "well, it's a Christian school".  And it's sort of true.  But! my high school was Christian too.  I know the answer - SoCal.  I'm not trying to generalize, I'm not saying all SoCal people aren't into it, I just can't find the ones that are.  And by the way, if you are from SoCal or APU, please add me on Facebook (Joe Maximus - San Francisco network)), or email me, or something - we need to talk. 

That being said - I love Pandora.  It fills in all the blanks in my iTunes library.  Here's the thing, I don't ever want to have 'enough' music.  Life is perpetual, and so should it be.  I watched the music video for Hot 'N Cold (ya, ya, I know...), and I seriously crack up at the actions of the groomsmen and the vicar.  I got into Katy Perry on my senior trip in high school, when our class went to San Diego.  It was the second-to-last night of the trip (for those who thought this was going to be a short post...sorry >.<), and there were four other guys in my room, one guy was crashing with us so he wouldn't have to be in his room.  I was on the floor between the two twin beds, not really sure what the situation was with everyone else, but I do know that VH1 was on - and it was terrible!  I wasn't into the music that everyone else was, especially when it's pop/emo/grunge/punk boy-bands...*shudder*.  Anyways, I was trying to fall asleep and not have an aneurysm with what the broadcast was playing.  After agonizing minutes of nothing but crap, I heard something that sounded promising, so I jumped up and shouted for them to leave it on and not channel surf, and lucky me - it was the music video for 'I Kissed a Girl'.  The beat was something I liked, and the video didn't raise any objections from the other guys (why I rarely defend the actions of men - including myself).  Well, I spent the next day and the day after with the song stuck in my head, and I thought I needed to hear it once more to get it out of my head.  So I got it, I put it on my iPod, I listened to it to and from graduation the next day, and it's been on my iPod ever since.

Oh!  Today I hung out with a guy I know.  It was cool, we played a few games, watched an episode of Heroes, got Chinese food, and watched 'The Machinist' a good Christian Bale movie.  Trippy movie, and I figured it out about 80% of the way through, but still worth the watch.

And back on topic - or back off topic if you will - I'd like to take a scholarly approach to my music.  Regardless of the emotional level of the song playing, if it gets you moving, you're getting exercise.  We need more exercise in corporate America today, and music that gets you moving is a perfect solution, hence the creation of Jazz-ercise, although it's not really my thing.  If you listen to artists like Depeche Mode and VNV Nation, you're exposing your mind to some deep philosophical topics, and you stand a good chance of learning something or forming an opinion (which, by the way, is totally cool in society right now).  And then of course there's the aspect of ingenuity that can only come from a dance music video.  Example - Cascada's "Every Time We Touch": rave in a library!!!! Admit it, if you haven't already thought of it, you are now.  It'd be AWESOME!  Honestly, that's something I plan on doing someday - hosting a rave.  Maybe even in a library.  Hahaha, and a darkwave rave in a morgue! ^_^  Now would be a great time to say that Pauly Perrette's 'Abby' of NCIS is my favourite character of all time.  I mean, seriously?  Pauly Perrette is just waaaaay too cute in general, but as Abby...well, ^_^ there's really no words.  Honestly, time slows down, and DJ Mangoo's 'Eurodancer' plays in the background.  I'm kidding *_^  But really, her character blows my mind.  Especially with her choice of tats, to put a lemniscate on your inner arm, you've got to be inherently awesome, or a poser.

Anyways, that's it, I could go on forever about Pauly Perrette and my music.

Cheers,
-Shadow of Light

No comments:

Post a Comment