Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Anachronistic and Impulsive

There it is. It's amazing isn't it? I know you're probably in as much awe as I am, and I know it's hard to look away, so I don't blame you if you don't read this post all the way through. It's a hard thing to do in the presence of such awesomeness.

I'm kidding. Kind of. That is how I feel about it, but that's also because I'm going(!!). Sooo, today was....kind of boring. I've mostly been listening to music all day, and posting the magic cards on Ebay, which successfully aggravated me when it logged me out twice. I also watched an episode of Burn Notice on Hulu, even though I would have been much happier with new episodes of Psych. But they're not out yet. Sad. So instead my day revolved around my iTunes library and my Pandora station. So I had an idea! I'm going to share more music with you. I've picked a giant chunk of the tracks I've listened to today, in about the same order that I heard/played them. Even though I listen to a TON of different music in general, I don't really vary a whole lot during a day, so my music follows a pattern. For example, I might be on an opera fix for the day, so I won't have a lot of rock or electronica or new wave, etc. unless it has opera styled vocals or classical bits and pieces. So as we tour through some of this music, keep in mind: if you don't like it all now, I still might have stuff you do like, and if you love it all, I'm bound to have more that yo might not like. This is a very small sample.

Let's begin. For the last tow days I've had a few songs playing through my head ad infinitum. The one that I've sung at least once everyday, mostly in the shower, is 'Somebody's Watching Me' by Rockwell (The link will take you to the song). James Roday and Dulé Hill sing it in a Psych-out for the second season finale "Shaun (and Gus) of the Dead" and I looked it up and I've sung it everyday since then. On the other hand, I heard a song while going through a DNA Lounge play list a while back, 'The Metro' by Berlin. I've also had that stuck in my head, but much more so since Sunday (I wonder why? *_^). So those cover the songs that haven't left my head, but no where near close to the major songs of the day. I started with maybe thirty play throughs of 'Tonight' by Freezepop, a song that Pandora plays every now and again and was also featured on a DNA Lounge play list a few weeks ago. After that I went with one of my new favourites to set the music mood, 'Love Breeds Suicide', by Suicide Commando. I like the lyrics, they're...significant. After that I stayed in line with some similar tracks, and picked another favourite, 'My Little' by Pride and Fall, a song that I might have mentioned in earlier posts but a song that helped me get some rest over the Winter Break and went really well with the hours I was working then. I switched over to Pandora after that and was surprised with a track that I have but haven't listened to in forever - 'Legion' by none other than VNV Nation. As a side note, there's a song by VNV Nation that is quite profound and that would be 'Carbon' - I've selected a video that I feel encapsulates what the song talks about. Those tracks led to more classics and more mellow music, specifically 'Seeming Reflection' by Moonbeam, one of my favourite artists for soooo many reasons. Once I was on track with meaningful music I started to go through my Depeche Mode albums and I've selected one of my favourites played today - Blasphemous Rumors. And that was everything for the day until I started this post. BUT I don't want to leave you hanging on what might be depressing to some, so I have a pick just for you. This is for both the video and the song: 'Honey' by Moby. I'm sure you've heard it at some point and I hope you enjoy it.

I would like to end tonight with something from the past: a question to the reader. I got into a debate the other day with over math and art. So my question to you is: Do you think that Math and Art are part of the same thing? For example, do you believe that you can create art with math? That math explains art? Honestly, I don't, but to save on room I'm not going to explain in full detail, if you really want to know you can talk to me if you know me, and for those of you who don't have a better way to communicate, you my reach me at umbraobscura@gmail.com

Cheers,
Shadow of Light

No comments:

Post a Comment