Monday, June 22, 2009

There Is No Instance of a Nation Benefitting From Prolonged Warfare

There you have it. Over two thousand years ago, Sun Tzu wrote The Art of War, and guess what? He had it right. I've read the entire book maybe halfway through a second time, and to be honest, YES, the book is about war, BUT, my favourite point that comes up in the book is, "Supreme excellence is not to win a hundred victories in a hundred battles. Supreme excellence is to subdue the armies of your enemies without even having to fight them." Sun Tzu did write a book on war, but he also knew what war is. After all, "it is only one who is thoroughly acquainted with the evils of war, who can thoroughly understand how to profit from waging war."

But on a less solemn note: I'll finish what I started in the last post. So yesterday was pretty much super awesome, as I posted, but the days before that were fun too (in that "I never left the house and did fun stuff in my pj's" way). I didn't do stuff in my pj's, although, I do wear jeans as pj's sometimes, but it was the same type of fun, and therefore by some math property, the same thing, so I might as well have been in my pj's, but for realism and honesty, I'll admit I wasn't.

Sooooo, while I was having as much fun not in my pj's as I would have if I had been, I was doing things like: cooking Fillet Mignon, listening to music loudly, making desserts, watching all of season one of Heroes, watching Saved!, playing flash games online, watching funny and cute videos on YouTube, and Facebooking. It's all quite exciting and fun! (Not really, it's pretty unexciting, and mellow. Still fun, but not like "I think i can jump over that railing from here" type of fun. It's kind of just...tolerable (?) fun). So that was my earlier weekend, and it was fun, but yesterday was WAYYY more fun. Fun, as in: "I raced a dolphin and won" fun.

But now it's Monday, and today was fun too, probably as much fun as yesterday, although I've had "Blue Monday" and "The Metro" stuck in my head, even though I can't stop singing "Somebody's Watching Me". Seriously, I really want to stop. Today I saw even more of my friends, had lunch with two of them, and saw Angel's and Demons with another. All-in-all: pretty awesome day. I love my friends. All of them. So much so that I sort of loan myself out to do anything asked of me when I owe them, (if I don't owe I have a system I default to), so right now I'm in debt to one of my oldest and best friends, because he pretty much gave me the most awesome thing ever right now: I will be going to the VNV Nation concert at the Regency Ballroom next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you might imagine if you know how I feel about VNV Nation, or how I talk about them in this blog, or how disappointed I was when I thought I couldn't go, then you can probably guess the level of joy and excitement I have right now. Combine that with the fact that I've been listening to the new VNV album "Of Faith, Power, and Glory" all weekend, I'm pretty much as happy as I could possibly be. AND I got called in to a job interview this Friday!

Allow me to summarize this: I have a job interview coming up. I spent today and yesterday with most of my favourite people in the world. I have the new VNV Nation album. And I am going to the VNV Nation concert next Monday (my first ever concert, and playing one of the best albums ever in my favourite city).

I'm about as happy as I'd be if VNV were playing an entire World Tour sized concert, in a cemetery, serving free Vamp and Malibu and OJ, while God set the stars on strobe mode (it can be done by the way!), Jesus Christ showing up riding a cloud pulled by dragons made of gold, with every important person present, singing along, and using the entirety of Hell as a loudspeaker (also totally doable).

FYI: described above is pretty much how I'd choose to spend every night, and a fairly accurate representation of what I want my funeral to be like (just in case).

I know I've described things with more people before, and maybe you think it's about the number of awesome people - not true, what makes things super awesome is a very special group of awesome people in a truly awesome setting. Like the one described above.

In other, much less awesome news, (sorry, I know I start off with awesome stories of friends and events with friends, and friends doing things, and having awesome friends, and redundant strands of text thrown in between all of that; and it's probably kind of...idk, "not as cool", I think the kids say these days. I'll make up for it though! I'll end with an awesome story that connects back to friends and the last post as well, so it'll be really...fulfilling. Emotionally. Mentally. Spiritually...I'll throw some Greek references in there to get that one), I was going through some of my things around the house (which is FILLED with things, so what I'm really saying is "I was going through the GOOD things"), and I found my old collection of Magic: The Gathering cards. My mom and I used to buy them because we liked the artwork (she stole all the awesome faerie cards...lame), and I found out that I can sell them for quite a bit of money, maybe close to $1k. So I've been going through and organizing them, which took forever, and tomorrow I'm going to post them on EBay and see what I can get for them. However, I was really kind of surprised, because I was so little when I started saving them, I have a huge amount of original addition cards, and then a ratio of about 8:1 common to rare. But then I add in the fact that a bunch of the cards are no longer printed because they're so old, and some of the common ones become rare too, and I get about fifty-fifty split between "ehhh" cards and "Holy Jeezy-Bit!!!" cards. I'm excited to see what becomes of it all. Plus it might help some with my financial issues and with getting my laptop (which I need to graduate now). So unless you know someone getting rid of a new Mac, with at least a 15" screen and over 200 Gb of hard drive space, and a really good processor - my money is being saved up for that and a Dremel set with a better Dremel and parts than I have right now. And once ALL that is taken care of, I'll also be looking for some fancy tropical hardwood scraps (Purple Heart, Ironwood, etc.) and other really nice wood scraps so I can make some more awesome stuff with the Dremel. I'm excited.

And now a fun story to make up for the not-as-much-fun card story: In my last post I mentioned a box of art supplies. Well, last night around 2Am I went through all of it just to see what there was. It's an amazing array of treasures! There's a bunch of fun paint, threads, needles, transparency paper, balsa wood, copper wire, brass wire, plastic sheets, and gold spray paint which I have an idea for on a ring. There's also a couple tools and supplies that I have no idea what to call or use on, so I'm going to guess at their uses until I give in and ask a friend. It'll be fun to figure it out on my own if I can though. But exploring the box wasn't the most interesting part of the night: there was a jar of metallic gold acrylic paint with the lid askew, and being obsessive at time like last night, I needed to fix it. So I took off the lid, and when I tried to put it back on I dipped my fingers into the paint. When I tried to wipe off the paint, as tired as I was, I just spread it over both my hands and I had to walk around the house for twenty minutes trying not to Midas Touch anything so I could clean the paint. It's the type of thing I would do. But it was also kind of fun - I did of course touch a few things on purpose. So I'm very excited to go and have more fun in my box in the days to come.

Well that is about it, but I don't want to leave you hanging, so I'm going to leave you with something you might enjoy: two songs from the new VNV Nation album, "Of Faith, Power, and Glory"


Cheers,
Shadow of Light

No comments:

Post a Comment