Wednesday, September 2, 2009

We Are Functional...

...we are efficient.

We are prepared and self sufficient.

And we only destroy for the greater good

so you can be free to consume more as you should,

and lead a better life.


Last week in the Bay before heading up North for a few days and then heading to APU. I forgot what I did on Monday, but Tuesday I spent the day in the SF with Teenie and Rosales. Fun day – we went to Pier 39, bought cupcakes at Ghiradelli Square (expensive but delicious). On our way back we passed some really awesome artwork and ended up talking to the artist, who was a super awesome British guy with an awesome sense of humour. He had some crazy awesome airbrush pieces, one in particular that totally blew my mind was a set of three that were all completely interchangeable. So after a long talk with him about art, which was enlightening and fun, we headed to lunch. After a thirty minute walk and four or so restaurant choices we ended up at Pizza Orgasmica (good choice). Then we walked to the Apple Store and spent an hour there checking out the headphones on Rosales' iPod. A $300 pair of Bose were incredibly kick-ass, and made every song sound...perfect? Then we left Teenie at the bus and headed back to Rosales' to watch tv and play video games. The usual.


Where is the line between progress and decline?

What is the price to stop ruining life?

Why is functional worth more than sustainability?

Why are we so comfortable in our gullibility?


Wednesday - I played music and goofed around on Facebook.


We are dysfunctional, and inefficient.

We're unprepared, we are deficient.

And we only kill for the bottom line

so you can be free to consume more as you should,

and lead a better life.


Thursday I got to hang out with Rosales one last time, and we watched Boondock Saints. It's always a good day when someone who hasn't seen it watches it for the first time. We also spent a few hours with Spencer, playing games (etc.), and dinner at a cheesesteak place in the City. It was super good. Went well after Chinese food for lunch. Good day seeing them both, and a fun day on it's own.


Where is the line between progress and decline?

What is the price to stop ruining life?

Why is functional worth more than sustainability?

Why are we so comfortable in our gullibility?


Friday I had sushi with a friend, then went to Pacifica and spent a few hours with the art teacher from my high school and spent a few hours on hold with Adobe trying to get some licensing figured out. In the end I ended up with CS3 again, this time activated, and still legal. It was also fun to hang out with my teacher one last time, since I wouldn't have had time to visit her before I left.


What happened to make us want to be blind?

What is it in us that made us believe in all of the lies

spoon-fed to us by the ones who only stand to profit from our loss,

exploiting our misery and selling it back to us for a cost?


Saturday I found out that I was heading up to my mom's in the afternoon rather than three days later, which means more time away from the Bay and that I can't hang out with Teenie again before I go back to school. Pissed me off. Good news was I got to see my family for the September birthday parties. I spent the entire morning packing – I have WAYYY too much crap. My mom and her BF came early so we could load up the car and not have transfer junk later. My mom decided she'd go say hello to some neighbors while we loaded everything up. I'm all for being friendly, but I'm also totally into pulling my own weight when it's needed. Birthday parties were fun. I got to see all the family members I wouldn't have seen until Christmas, and I got to say another goodbye to my aunt and talk to my other aunt on the phone (FINALLY!! Texting is fine to k.i.t. but I like to speak with loved ones too on occasion!). Left from there with my mom and her Rick up to her place to spend five days there until we drive down to APU.


Where is the line between progress and decline?

What is the price to stop ruining life?

Why is functional worth more than sustainability,

why are we so comfortable in our gullibility?


Tonight's title and lyrics are from the song 'Functional', by Imperative Reaction. I'm a fan of all the IR songs I have (all of them) – they call out hypocrisy, lies, irony...basically the songs are about the world as it is. This song in particular is a personal favourite, even more so recently. I'm getting really sick of hypocrisy and BS, in everything from politics to conversations with people. It'd be nice if it ended soon.

Anyways, I'm off for a week with my mom and no internet. Joy.

Cheers,

Shadow of Light

1 comment:

  1. Bose uses paper cones for speakers...cheap quality :p (I'm a Bose hater)

    ReplyDelete