Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Choir Full of Longing...

Title tonight from Covenant's 'Call the Ships to Port'. Great song - nice beat, good lyrics, nice medium of heavy house/club music and trance. Been singing along with it most of the last hour. Before that I was still listening to Combichrist's 'Electrohead'.

I wasn't planning on blogging again until the end of this week, but I had a pretty eventful day. Today I rescued my books!! I also did laundry, replied to one of my roommates on Facebook, and will eventually trim my beard sometime this evening.

The books are the exciting part though (although the fact that I'm washing ALL my clothes made rescuing my books in a robe a lot more adventurous). The back story of it goes something like this: A few years ago I started cleaning my room, and I was putting things in boxes to organize them, and all my favourite books of that time were put into a 'book box'. During the time that I was cleaning my room however, my aunt visited and assisted, and we got a good chunk of my room clean in a day instead of the week I had planned on. It was during this epic sweep however, that the book box was placed at the bottom of a pile of other things (boxes, toys, clothes, etc.), and being the weak little 10 y/o that I was, I could not pull out a 70lb box from the bottom of a pile stacked to the ceiling of a bunch of other heavy things. And so all my favourite books were lost to myself and the world forever.

Until today...

♪doo-doooooo♪
(An Obelisk of Light Production)

♪doo-da-do-do♪
(In Association with I Want Justice Entertainment)

♪dum-dum-daaaam♪
Found!

♪do-do-do-daam♪
(Staring:)
(Mr. Maximus - me!)
(The Rosaler - Himself)
(Narrator - Pyle's wraith)

♪doo-doo-doo♪
♪doo-doo-doo♪
♪doo-doo-doo♪
♪doo♪
♪doo♪
DOO-DOO

It started in the morning, a day like any other. Mr. Maximus had just finished putting the laundry into the basket to take it to be washed, his robe billowing about his ankles as he paced between his laundry pile and the hamper, eyes still shadowed by the remnants of sleep, and bed head sticking out into the vastness of the house. He scratched the shaggy hair growing past the boundaries of his beard lost in thought in the moment and reflecting on his week.

As he stood in the stillness and let his thoughts flow over him he thought back to the memory of a box of treasured books once used to keep them safe until it had been lost forever. He thought of his cousin, of how some of the books would be perfect for his current reading level, and of the other books he had once treasured and loved and if he might ever see them again.

It was then that he came back to his senses and standing in front of his room's door, he wondered if he might dare enter and quest for his lost treasures. He thought about the books he wanted to read, but could not bring himself to go just for himself; but the thought of his cousin drove him to decide to quest into the depths of the room and bring out the great tome of knowledge. He set out by clearing the debris that had gathered over the years in front of the great opening to the abyss. Little by little, he cleared a way to enter, and bracing himself he clambered over the last of the debris and into the darkness of the realm beyond. Upon entering, the lighting immediately changed, and he found his eyes adjusting to the glow emitted from windows that had once gazed out upon a great world and vast empire, but that now stood half-shut looking out upon a world of hypocrisy and corruption. Looking back just once, he set forth through the now alien realm scanning his surroundings for signs of other things lost and forgotten.

After several minutes of treacherous hiking over2 ground layered by the remnants of a previous life, while staying away from the dens of strange creatures made up of legs and eyes, Maximus came upon a familiar shape buried in old skins. Brushing the skins aside he found one of his only pieces of useful furniture, a small(-ish) entertainment center that would serve him well upon his return to the distant magic academy, where despite his best efforts he had yet to turn water into wine. He hoisted his new treasure onto a plinth near him so he might return by the same way and take it along with him.

He ventured further through his surroundings, fighting off the vicious monsters that swung down from above him and crawled from their dens to cling to his bare legs, struggling over unstable ground and pathways filled with debris that left deep gouges as he scraped by them, unprotected. Eventually he made it to the back of the Abyss, where an eerie and unholy wind whipped about him, biting at his hands and face. He searched through squinted eyes at the largest pile of debris yet, and saw at it's base a gleam of gold where the chest he sought lay covered and trapped. Setting down the small collection of items he had found along his travel, he began to dig through the pile, carrying the larger pieces away from his work. Breathing heavy, he thought of having the help of someone familiar with the vast and terrible world around him. He thought of the greatest of the travelers that he knew, The Rosaler. The man had seen the terrors of the abyss, and yet his bravery never wavered any time he had had to venture forth into it.

Finally Maximus reached the great chest that held his books, and heaving it out of another pile, he lifted the lid and saw the treasure inside...

...Aaaaaand that's a pretty good description of what I had to do to get the books, with a few artistic liberties taken to make it sound more exciting, but not many - the room really is a mess, that's part of the reason I've slept on the couch for the last 7 years. In the end I made it out, and with quite a haul! I set out my entertainment center to take back to school, I also found two packs of cedar planks that I can use for projects, some sandpaper, some craft stuff, a book I bought my Freshman year of high school when I wanted to learn how to draw (unfortunately I never really got into the book, but I have it again and I'm going to go through it and work on some of the lessons), and a few other odds and ends. Getting into the book box was the real haul though, I got the books I wanted for my cousin, a set of 17 of the 'Great Illustrated Classics' which are abridged versions of classic novels with pictures every other page. I read them when I was little, and I loved them because they were only abridged enough to be easy to read, not to dilute the content. I also found my LOTR books, a box set including the Hobbit, my copies of 'The House of the Scorpion', 'The Aeneid', 'The Odyssey', and the entire collection of the 'Everworld' series - I got the first book when I was 10 and finished the series about two years after that when I had all the other books (thinking about reading it again, kind of in the mood for fantasy but don't know how eager I am to re-read that particular series). But the books that I was really happy to find were my collection of Calvin and Hobbes books: The Essential Calvin and Hobbes, Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat (my favourite ^_^), The Days Are Just Packed, Calvin and Hobbes, and The Revenge of the Baby-sat. Calvin and Hobbes is my very favourite comic strip, I love reading it when I can now, but I love reading it in the books more - my mom had two of the books and when I visited her when I was little I would read them while I watched cartoons and ate Fruit Loops out of the box. It wasn't made special because I was with my mom, it was made special because I was having fun and I wasn't stressed out, and to this day Scooby-Doo, Fruit Loops, and Calvin and Hobbes all brighten my day.

On a more depressing note, I also found a rough draft that someone once gave me to read of a story. I got it in high school, and it's a good story, a few years old, last worked on about 6 months before it was given to me. It's kind of a sad story, and finding it didn't exactly give me warm , fuzzy feelings. But finding everything else was great.

That's it, that's all of my day. I still have to pull my laundry out of the dryer, and I still have to shave, but then I'll be ready to crash and start tomorrow. Thing is...I don't want to start tomorrow, I'm not looking forward to going all the way to Palo Alto to pack up office supplies and furniture. But I keep telling myself it'll be over soon, and then I'm free, and I get paid pretty well, 10/hr, and I'll be working with a kid about my age, but I won't be able to treat him like a normal person because he's my boss' son. LAME!

So I'm off to fold clothes, and get my beard back to it's Sean Connery look. I'll blog again later this week!

Cheers!
-Shadow of Light

No comments:

Post a Comment